"Let Me Be Sacrificial Goat": AR Rahman’s Explanation On Stampede-Like Situation During His Chennai Concert

AR Rahman has come forward with a solution for all his fans who were not able to witness his recent concert held in East Coast Road in Chennai on Sunday.

Entertainment Desk
Written By: Entertainment Desk
Updated: September 11, 2023 | 15:15 IST
AR Rahman
AR Rahman has come forward with a solution for all his fans who were not able to witness his recent concert.

Oscar-winning musician AR Rahman has come forward with a solution for all his fans who were not able to witness his recent concert held in East Coast Road in Chennai on Sunday. As per several reports, there was a stampede-like situation at the concert after organisers failed to correctly direct the ticket holders through the entry points. Some fans were unable to enter the venue due to the huge size of the crowd, and it is being speculated that organisers had oversold the tickets. As per several reports, some women were molested as well. 

In the latest entertainment news, AR Rahman took to X, to say, "Dearest Chennai Makkale, those of you who purchased tickets and weren’t able to enter owing to unfortunate circumstances, please do share a copy of your ticket purchase to arr4chennai@btos.in along with your grievances. Our team will respond asap.”

The musician also took to Instagram to share a screenshot of his post on X, and he captioned the post as: "Some people call me G.O.A.T …………let me be the sacrificial goat this time for all of us to wake up ..let chennai’s live art flourish with a world class infrastructure,increase in tourism, efficient crowd management,traffic management ,refining audiences to follow rules ..creating a safe and surreal experience for children and women ..Triggering a cultural renaissance at chennai celebrating our deserving ,illuminated local and international talent!”

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by ARR (@arrahman)

Speaking to The Hindu, AR Rahman gave an explanation regarding what exactly went wrong.

“The organisers (ACTC events) had put together about 46,000 chairs in the venue. In some sections, everybody sat on one side and didn’t move to the other side. Seeing this, the policemen on duty assumed that the venue was full and closed it. By this time, the show had already started inside," he said. 

“This was like a cyclone we did not plan for. We did 20 concerts in the US last year, and everything was smooth and trouble free — because we trusted the system there. ‘Marakkuma Nenjam’ is India’s highest-sold show till date, which is great, but it is more important how we treat people than the actual concert itself. And that, I had little control over. I knew what all songs to pack in, which singers to rope in, and what musical surprises to give fans, but going forward, artistes have to take leadership on measuring contractually what goes into these arrangements," he added.

Shankar Jiwal, the DGP of Tamil Nadu had told Thanthi TV that he has already directed the Tamabaram police department to look into the issue.

As per Thanthi TV, as soon as preliminary enquiry is finished, a show-cause notice will be issued to the organisers.

Post a Comment